Wednesday, March 6, 2013



Good morning!  I woke up this morning and there was a notification on my PetED Facebook page.  The notification was informing me that someone that I have not met, "liked" the page.  Such a nice feeling. So, I was having my cup of "wake-the-heck up" and found myself staring at PetED's logo and day dreaming.

While in Las Vegas at the Western States Veterinary Conference, I gave a technician one of my cards after we chatted for a bit about dentistry and X-rays at the Technician Fair.  She politely took the card and innocently asked; "If you teach dentistry, why didn't you design a logo around that and why the briefcase?"  So, I thought I would share how I responded about the PetED logo.

First of all, the name of the company; PetED.  It is true that at this point, most of the business is centered around veterinary dentistry.  I am the president and that is my clinical specialty and main focus.  However, I envision a company that has a much larger scope. Having been invited into almost 50 practices to teach dentistry, I am aware that some practices have areas other than dentistry that they would appreciate help expanding or further developing.  One of the common issues that comes up whenever I teach dentistry is anesthesia.  Once practices start doing full mouth radiographs and finding additional pathology, the patients are under general anesthesia longer.  That often necessitates a good look at the practices' anesthetic protocols and practices.  

That led me to know that I wanted the company to be the resource for any of their educational and training needs.  I can't be an expert in all disciplines. Fully embracing that fact, PetED has technicians that I have had the honor and pleasure of getting to know, that are considered experts in other disciplines that can be scheduled to consult for the company.

Why the briefcase?  Well, that is to show that PetED trainers come with materials for you to keep as references when we leave your practice.  If I train technicians how to perform regional nerve blocks, I leave you with pre-calculated dosage charts.  If I teach intraoral radiographs, I leave the practice with a CD of images that show the proper position for each image.  

The briefcase also shows that we are mobile.  We pack up and come to you (although we do have a wet lab site).  The practice could be in our geographic area or we frequently travel to other states as needed.  PetED is not limited to any geographic area. As a matter of fact, I am scheduled to speak to a group in Modesto, California in a few weeks.

The paw prints are pretty self-explanatory.  This is a small animal veterinary resource (although PetED does have access to one of the leading equine technicians in the country).  

The colors?  I wanted to be memorable and that yellow jumps out at you, hopefully catching your attention.  I want you to think of PetED and our trainers when you see that yellow and blue.

And why cartoon-type imaging?  I intentionally chose images and a font that invokes a feeling of fun!  Practice life can get intense but the educational experience does not have to be.  PetED is serious about the materials and the information shared but the trainers PetED has chosen are intentionally ones that are respected but share the information in comfortable and relaxed way.  When a PetED experience is schedule, I want the staff to want to be present that day.  Education should be something to look forward to instead of something to avoid.

Well, as I look out the window and see the very early March buds on some of the trees, I marvel at the miracle of Spring.  This is a time of hope and rebirth.  The seed of PetED was planted in the fall and through the darkness of winter there was a lot of underground work done in preparation for its birth.  My hope is that the PetED trainers will be able to plant the seeds of understanding and inspiration to revitalize how you experience this profession you so passionately sought.

Have a spectacular day!

Vickie




No comments:

Post a Comment